Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Quiche Lorraine


When I was a kid one of my all-time favorite foods that my mom used to make was Quiche Lorraine. I used to beg her to make it all the time, and she would demure, telling me that it was a lot of work and only for special occasions. So imagine my surprise when, as an adult, I decided to make try making it for myself, only to discover that quiche is one of the easiest dishes to make like, ever. Assuming, of course, you use refrigerated pie crusts. If you wanna be all ambitious and make the crust yourself then it starts to qualify as a lot of work, and honestly those refrigerated crusts are almost as good as homemade anyway.

I suspect now that my mom's reasons for not making it more often had far more to do with how fattening it is than how much work. And it is fattening. But oh, so delicious. And for some reason I always get a hankering for quiche in the summertime. Maybe because a little goes a long way and when it's 105 in the shade I'm not in the mood for a lot of food. Or maybe because the leftovers taste so good cold. It's possible that sometimes I even eat them right out of the pan while standing at the fridge with the door open. Don't tell my mama, though.

I don't have my mom's old Quiche Lorraine recipe, so I have to make due with someone else's. I usually go with the old standby Betty Crocker recipe, because there's a pretty good chance that's what my mom was using. Only my mom always used Canadian bacon instead of regular bacon, so that's what I do, too. It tastes a little more like dinner food that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment